9/9/08

Obsidian Shield and the PvP rage

Ah the obsidian sheild! Remember those days when it used to cost like 400k or something? There's a reason why.

This sheild currently (and I stress to take in acount when this article was written) costs, on average 248-270k. It used to be 230k a week ago. Litterally, I logged in one minute, switched worlds, logged in again, and the price had already gone up 5-6k.

Why?

This shield has the same def stats as a granite sheild which is O.K. but nothing special. Why would it be so popular?

Its popularity is due to a little thing called PvP. This sheild, unlike the granite sheild, gives a +5 str bonus. This doesn't seem like alot, but in a pvp situation, this little bonus is worth a billion.
Now when pvp was in action, it used to cost alot. Like 400-600k or something. Now that jagex has announced the majestic return of PvP, everyone wants to get their hands on one.

Not that I have any problems with PvP (despite the fact that I suck at it), but this seriously messes up my little agenda. I just got 60 def, and was finally able to put on my dragon med (which had dejectly been sitting in my bank) and go get an obby sheild. W00t, right?
I took with me 170k, and sold a rune full and kite at min price (yeah I know, that sucks). So I had 250k. I set up an offer to buy it, and sure enough, no one does. Meanwhile the clan wars update had made all of the players at the GE go bannanas.

I had to sell ALOT of stuff, and buy it at max price. I'm happy I did. Here's why.

Because of pvp, the price of everything combat related is going up (wall street crash, anyone?). Now those abbysal whips, which seemed so tantilizingly close, are going to shoot up in price. Probably stabilize at around 3-4 mil. They've dropped a ton, but still are regarded as an excelent choice for PvP.

This is big. Very big. As soon I bought the sheild and put it on, a million people started there little "buy max price!" rant. I had like my own little cloud of high and low lvl gnats following me around.
This may or may not come true, but i'm betting the price of the obby sheild to get to at least, 1 mil. Expect to see my obby sheild on the market once it maxes.

To any runescape player, THIS IS THE TIME TO BUY WEAPONS! Anything that has fallen in price will go up again. This is your little window to make some bling.

Will stuff fall in price again? Definently. But the obby sheild will never be 230k again.

Update: If your reading this, your probably thinking "What the heck is the newb talking about?!" Sorry! I wrote this article before the great recession of runescape, So i didn't realize that the obby sheild was not going to rise in price. *sob*

No comments: